CNN anchor Ana Cabrera hinted she won’t be off the air for long while bidding an emotional farewell to her struggling network.
“It’s hard to say goodbye to this place and the people here who mean so much to me,” Cabrera said on her 1 pm show Thursday. “However, I’m not saying goodbye to the work I love. I’m committed to learning and growing as a journalist and I’m excited to begin a new chapter in my career. But first I intend to take some time in the new year to just enjoy my family.”
As previously reported by The Post, Cabrera is expected to re-emerge after the holidays in a new role at MSNBC where she will anchor the 11 a.m. slot, after sitting out the non-compete clause in her CNN contract.
MSNBC declined to comment.
Cabrera joined CNN in 2013. She has hosted two presidential town halls and was first to interview former US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley following a historic vote on North Korea sanctions. She also anchored nine consecutive hours of breaking-news coverage following a terrorist attack on London Bridge in 2017.
“My heart is full of all kinds of emotions right now but mostly gratitude,” she said on her final show. “I feel so lucky to have had so many incredible experiences and opportunities to explore and share the world with you and my CNN colleagues.”
Cabrera leaves amid steep cost cuts at the ratings-challenged network, as CNN’s parent company Warner Bros. Discovery looks to shore up $3.5 billion over the next three years.
Earlier this month, CNN boss Chris Licht slashed hundreds of jobs, including well-known CNN correspondents Alison Kosik, Martin Savidge, Alex Field, Mary Ann Fox and Chris Cillizza, as well as gutting sister network HLN.
Cabrera’s departure was her decision and not part of that bloodbath, multiple sources told The Post.